WORLD SKIN HEALTH DAY 2021
Today is World Skin Health Day – one of the most important days of the year when it comes to who we are and what we stand for. Each year, the Australasian College of Dermatologists decides on a theme for World Skin Health Day – this year’s theme is Help, helps.
We know that skin conditions can impact people’s lives in many ways: from their self-esteem, their relationships, and their ability to do activities that they enjoy, which can also result in social isolation.
We want to help those who are seeking treatment, care and support for their skin conditions know where to find it, and you can help.
This can be as simple as:
- Encouraging your loved ones to keep an eye on any moles or skin lesions. Our skin check guide can help with this.
- Bringing along SPF50+ to picnics and encouraging others to use it. Make sure to read our sunscreen guide to make sure you’re applying it correctly.
- Checking in on the mental health of friends and family who you know suffer from skin conditions.
- Sharing helpful articles, such as this one about eczema management.
- Encouraging friends and family suffering from skin conditions to get in touch with a patient support group.
- Keeping in the loop about upcoming patient information events run by the Institute
- Asking a family member to get a referral and make an appointment at the Institute. More information about seeking help at the Institute can be found here.
In honour of this year’s theme, we asked some of our staff for some helpful skin health tips.