S1.E7 & 8: Eczema
Eczema (also called atopic dermatitis) is a common chronic inflammatory skin disease with a greater prevalence in children than adults, although it can affect any age. Estimated population prevalence is 20.3% in 1-year-olds but decreases to 16% in 4-year-olds, highlighting the fact that a significant proportion of children outgrow eczema (1). The disease is important not only because it is common, but also due to the significant impact it has on patient quality of life, ability to participate in school or work and their mental wellbeing (2).
Eczema is a big topic, so we have spread it over two episodes. In these we discuss eczema with Associate Professor John Su who is both a specialist dermatologist and paediatrician. He is head of dermatology at Eastern Health and consults at the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne. He has been a principal investigator in a number of clinical trials in various skin disorders, including atopic dermatitis.
In the first episode, Associate Professor Alvin Chong & Dr Tom Kovi discuss the epidemiology of eczema, what causes it and the clinical aspects with Professor Su. In the second episode, they carefully consider the treatment and management of eczema.
- Eczema - Skin Health Institute community information
- Eczema - Dermnet NZ
- Atopic Dermatitis - The A - Z of Skin, The Australasian College of Dermatologists
- See also
- Humerus Hacks, an excellent podcast series for medical students
- Learn Derm podcasts for dermatologists and dermatology registrars (US based)
Please rate and review this podcast.
We would really appreciate your feedback. This will help us to develop Spot Diagnosis for all our listeners.
If you like it, share it too.
SPOT DIAGNOSIS MAILING LIST
Subscribe to the Spot diagnosis mailing list to be kept in the loop regarding new episodes, additional resources, and more!
- Peters RL, Koplin JJ, Gurrin LC, et al. The prevalence of food allergy and other allergic diseases in early childhood in a population-based study: HealthNuts age 4-year follow-up. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017;140(1):145-153.e8. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2017.02.019
- Simpson EL, Bieber T, Eckert L, et al. Patient burden of moderate to severe atopic dermatitis (AD): Insights from a phase 2b clinical trial of dupilumab in adults. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016;74(3):491–8. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2015.10.043