R U OK DAY 2022
Today is RUOK Day, and although we should ask each other this question regularly, today we recognise the importance of having these conversations.
Research has found four in ten Australians feel asking someone “are you OK?” is a conversation better had with an expert.
However, R U OK? want everyone to know you don’t need qualifications to have an R U OK? conversation.
The work of health professionals is vital, and their value cannot be underestimated however we can all play a role in supporting each other.
You don’t need to be an expert to have an R U OK? conversation. Listening and giving someone your time might be just what they need to help them through.
Ask R U OK? No qualifications needed, because a conversation could change a life.
At Skin Health Institute, we know that skin conditions can impact people’s lives in many ways: from their self-esteem, their relationships, and their ability to participate in the activities they enjoy, which can also result in social isolation.
We want to provide help to those who are seeking treatment, care and support for their skin conditions to know where they can find it, and how you can help.
This can be as simple as:
- Checking in on the mental health of friends and family who you know suffer from skin conditions.
- Encouraging friends and family suffering from skin conditions to get in touch with a patient support group.
- Listening to the Spot Diagnosis Podcast to learn more about various skin conditions and their management.
- Sharing helpful articles, such as this one about eczema management.
- Encouraging your loved ones to keep an eye on any moles or skin lesions. Our skin check guide can help with this.
- Asking a family member to get a referral and make an appointment at the Institute. More information about seeking help at the Institute can be found here.
RUOK Day is an excellent reminder to start these conversations, however Skin Health Institute encourages our community to stay vigilant with each other; have these conversations often and take advantage of the resources at our disposal.